This whole story started last summer when we were visiting my parents in Hungary and I found my old Babrie dolls in the attic. I brought them down and let the kids play with them. First I thought my nieces will enjoy playing with the Barbies but as it turns out, my sons did, too!
A few months later I came across a picture on my phone: my son was playing with a Barbie back in summer and it reminded me how poorly those dolls were dressed because they only had the few dresses I made when I was about 7-8 years old! Can you imagine? Then the idea hit me: I should make a couple more dresses, so the kids will have more fun playing with the dolls.
So I borrowed a Barbie from a friend here in Germany and started manufacturing a few new outfits. My son nr. 1. also requested a wedding dress, so here are the ones I made:
For the wedding dress I used the left over from my own wedding gown! I only had about 20-30cm of the lace (which was from Italy!) and a little more from the silk. It’s been waiting for who knows what in a bag for over ten years.
But the story is not over just yet because I also made a complete Barbie Doll House! To be honest I am sorting out our basement and I had an old suit case which we did not need anymore but was too nice to just trow out. I wanted to tune it into something useful and with the help of Pinterest, it has become a doll house.
The Barbies are at my parents’ house, so will be this doll house. This is why it needed to be one which can also be closed up and put away because it’ll be only used when the grandchildren are there to visit. After weeks of consideration I came up with an idea how to solve this problem: I added wooden bars and L-shaped metal “hooks” (or whatever they are called in Engish…) to hold the floors (by screwing them into the side panels of the suit case).
The kitchen furniture were made of an old tide pod box and some blue adhesive. The counter top is a piece of pvc flooring, the sink is a bottom of a yogurt cup. The pictures on the wall were drawn by my son nr. 1. so at least one of them had to be a space ship…
For the big sofa I used card board, duckt tape, foam and covered it with real upholstery fabric (left over from my husband’s laptop bag). The smaller sofa was cut out from a laundry detergent bottle. I just sanded the edges, added a cushion and a the legs are dowels.
The bed is from card board again, but I added a shiny fabric to the head board and plastic spools became the legs! You can actually open the top of the chest of wardrobe and store the Barbie clothes in it.
The nice thing about this project is, that I didn’t spend more then 2-3€ on it (I needed to buy some screws and glue) because everything I used, we already had it at home! I needed a lot of glue for my hot glue gun and time! I can’t wait to see what my nieces will think of the Barbie house!
I’ll be back with a new post after Easter, until then: have a happy Easter!